People today increasingly want multi-functional living spaces, which is a big reason why metal barns with living quarters are becoming more popular. For an affordable and functional area that doubles as a home or workspace and a barn, a metal building might be exactly what you need.
Often called barndominiums, metal barns with living quarters hold incredible potential while remaining cost-effective and easy to install and maintain. The sky is the limit with your barndominium: use it as a home, workspace, barn, storage area, garage, office space, home gym, art studio, boat storage, and more.
This article outlines the benefits of metal barns with living quarters, plus the step-by-step guide to planning yours.
What are Metal Barns with Living Quarters?
Unsurprisingly, a metal barn with living quarters is a metal building large enough to accommodate a living area, barn, and anything else you desire. For example:
- Use your metal barn with living quarters as a home office, art studio, or metal shop building. Compartmentalize your work and earn an income from the comfort of your home.
- Store your cars in the garage or work as a mechanic to make additional profits. Depend on the security of a metal barn to store vintage cars, motorcycles, boats, or any other vehicle.
- If your primary home is overloaded with clutter, use your metal barn with living quarters as a storage space and breathe easy in your newly accessible home.
- Cancel your gym membership and exercise in your conveniently located home gym.
- Customize your metal barn with living quarters to meet your exact needs. A qualified manufacturer can personalize the size, floor plan, and amenities of your custom metal building.
- Alpha Structures recommends that clients take physical measurements of their intended site, which helps to visually imagine the dimensions of the metal barn with living quarters and ensures that the client is happy with the end result.
Benefits of Metal Barns with Living Quarters
- Metal barns with living quarters are surprisingly affordable, especially when compared with other building materials like wood and brick. Be aware that metal buildings less than 30 feet wide are the most affordable. You can extend these buildings as long as necessary. However, buildings wider than 32 feet require engineer plans, more labor, and extended tresses, which can add an additional $10,000+ to the total cost of your custom metal building.
- With Alpha Structures, your metal barn with living quarters is endlessly customizable. You can adjust the height, width, and length to meet the dimensions of your property. It’s easy to add drywall, paint, or partitions for livestock. Bear in mind that this can sometimes void the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Steel buildings are some of the most durable structures on the market. Think of metal barns as a legacy purchase that you can pass down to your kids or grandkids
- Enjoy easy maintenance as you hose off the exterior of your metal building. Metal barns with living quarters are also pest and mold resistant. Maintaining a clean home has never been easier.
- Traditional structures require many months to build, whereas metal buildings are easy to install. This often only takes a matter of days.
- Safety is paramount when planning a new home or business. Steel is naturally fire-resistant and performs well in the unfortunate case of natural disasters like earthquakes and strong winds.
- Metal barns with living quarters are aesthetically pleasing. Choose a color scheme and design that complements your property and add landscaping and lighting to elevate the appearance of your new building.
Five Steps to Plan Your Metal Barn with Living Quarters
- Make sure to research any required permitting in your area. Local contractors are a great resource if you need to clarify local regulations.
- Prepare your site for construction. Remove any trees, boulders, or other obstructions from the building site. Have the ground professionally leveled to ensure the long-term stability of your building. Investigate if your soil is prone to erosion and fortify it if necessary.
- Lay your foundation. Choose between gravel, dirt, concrete, or other materials. Each has its advantages, so it pays to do your research. Non-commercial buildings can be built on any level surface, whereas commercial buildings larger than 32 feet wide must have metal strips in the foundation. If your site is not professionally leveled, this can lead to problems later on.
- Install utilities. If you plan to have running water and electricity in your metal barn with living quarters, install plumbing and electricity before constructing the building.
- Install your metal barn with living quarters either by yourself or with a professional team. Many people are very capable of installing the barn themselves, but Alpha Structures offers competitive discounts that generally incentivize customers to choose professional installation. Alpha Structures gives a 12% discount if the customer picks up the raw materials and 10% for a drop-off. Keep in mind that these metal buildings don’t come with instructions, so only attempt installation if you are truly confident in your abilities.
Planning a metal barn with living quarters can seem daunting at first. But with the help of a reliable manufacturer, you can breathe a sigh of relief. Call one of our qualified agents to talk through your project and trust that you are in good hands. Before long, you will be the proud owner of a high-quality metal barn with limitless uses.